I usually teach journalism students because of my professional training. Even with the turning over of too much journalism to the gods of infotainment (the bean counters) and the journalebrities (see also entry below, 1/05/06), I truly believe that the main goal of the journalism "industry," if you will, is to get at the Truth, as difficult as that is in our postmodern world.
On the other hand advertising and even public relations people manipulate the facts for their own benefit.
Example: I am certain we all get in the mail those envelopes that try to pass themselves off as a government document or check. The idea, obviously, is to trick the recipient into opening the envelope. Golly, that's sure aboveboard and ethical.
One recent one (below) came in a brown official looking envelope with "Department of Communications" in the upper left, followed by a stern warning to anyone but me opening it. There is the threat of five years imprisonment or a $2,000 fine, according to the cited U.S. Code. Inside? A form letter from a mortgage company saying I qualify to borrow "up to 125%" of the value of my home. Gee, thanks for inviting me into a dangerous level of debt because a company wants to make more money.

The other one that came yesterday also looked official and came from the "Disbursement Center," with an address in Washington, D.C. "OFFICIAL BUSINESS" is under that, in bold. It is a window envelope and it looks like my name and address is printed on a check. It even says "Pay to the order of:" next to my name. Inside? A faked (though "non-negotiable") check for nearly $50K. Golly Ned, how generous of them to offer me the opportunity to take out a huge equity line! They make more money, and I get to increase my debt.

I understand that sometimes people need this information for entirely legitimate reasons. But don't try to trick me. That's underhanded. But that's advertising.
No comments:
Post a Comment